Before you spend 4 hours in a hot and humid room with me during your newborn shoot it might be worth getting to know me a bit better… (and yes, my newborn sessions do last between 2 and 4 hours depending on the photos you are after and how your baby is on the day). So I’ve put together a very honest blog which shows who I am, not just the face hiding behind the business!Ok, so I’m going to reel off a few things because I feel very on the spot here and it is easier to just make a list and elaborate if I need to!
1) I have a 6 month old labrador/golden retriever cross called Heidi, who is currently snoozing next to me on the sofa (she is a sofa dog… my sofa is not happy about this) and two male moggies called Rambo and Django. Oh and I suppose I should mention Andy my ever patient and lovely Fiance (mwah!).
2) I have a 15 month old child. She is called Rose (hence my business name), I describe her as a little tornado as she runs into a room and instantly it is like hurricane Doris has hit. My little blonde haired beauty now refuses to let me take her photo which makes Mama very sad.
3) I live in an old 18th century mill house in Northleach. We are currently renovating it and have a long way to go but it is very definitely our home, filled with things we have collected over the years together- antiques, photos, books and all things that we love.
4) lets see… something that makes me happy? My family, my work and a lovely white wine spritzer in the sun.
5) …and something that makes me sad- never having any free time. I work VERY hard and juggle my business with my daughter which leaves little time to just sit and read a book, catch up with friends or even have a day where I don’t know what to do with myself. I really love my job but I do wonder sometimes what it would be like to finish work at 5 and then not start again until 9am the next day (and weekends? wow!).
6) I did my newborn training with Claire Elliott a few years ago, she is one of the best in the business so I am ever grateful to her for sharing her talents. I did lighting training with Gary Hill (again- one of, if not THE best for lighting) and I have some maternity training coming up in May with the Yerbury’s (very exciting for me as they are incredible!). I get asked a lot if I did photography in college… nope. I didn’t even pick up a DSLR camera until 2012. I am completely self taught (apart from the training previously mentioned) which I am very proud of, and trust me, I know my stuff.
7) My style of photography is very classical. I love posed portraits, muted tones and natural light in my images- I do and have done documentary styled images but they are messier than I usually like, in the studio or outside where I can pose my subjects, control the lighting and style the session is really where I come into my own.
8) Things I couldn’t be without whilst working… my camera (canon 5d miii), my favourite lens (24-70mm f/2.8), a cup of tea (yorkshire), photoshop, newborn wraps (handy for other sessions too!).
9) My happy place is in my studio- it is the one place in our house that is finished. It is quiet, warm, light and very relaxing.
10) I was recently asked by a customer if i was a franchise… No! I am a small business, a sole trader and an artist. I built my skills, my website, my client base all from scratch, I worked hard to buy my equipment, my props, my training and my studio. I do this because I love it, I love my customers, the babies, and my final products.